Do you have what it takes to start a business?
This checklist cannot predict success, but it can give you an idea of the characteristics vital to achieving your goals. How do you measure up? Ask yourself these questions:
- Can I persevere through tough times?
- Do I have a strong desire to be my own boss?
- Do the judgments I make in life regularly turn out well?
- Do I have the ability to conceptualize a business in its totality?
- Do I possess the high level of energy, sustainable over long hours, to make a business successful?
- Do I have significant, specialized, business experience?
- Is this the right business for me?
Determining whether you have the personality and the skills necessary to run a successful business will help you know your chances of success. Know your strengths and weaknesses; know what you like doing and do well and know in which areas you might need to improve your skills. You can get help and resources from the Department of Trade and Consumer Affairs and from many websites. You can also take business courses at the H. Lavity Stoutt Community College or you can simply purchase and read materials on starting a business and basic business concepts.